Converting ESdat Electronic Lab Data Format (ELDF) 2e to 4:
ELDF 4 extends 2e in order to accomodate additional QA information. To produce ELDF 4 Laboratories that are currently providing 2e can make the changes described below.
If all the below changes are made the files will conform with the full ELDF 4 specifications.
ELDF 4 comprises the same files as used by ELDF 2e, namely::
Chemistry File (which contains the results).
The file names are of the same format except the csv files reference "4" instead of "2e", ie : Project Name as provided by the users; a full stop; a laboratory file identifier; a full stop; the text
"Header", "Sample4" or "Chemistry4" as appropriate and the file extension (".xml"or ".csv" as appropriate). An example of a file set would be
COC and COA in PDF Format as well as other files usually provided by the laboratory.
The Header File xml specifications are updated, in particular:
- Laboratories can provide a comment that applies to the entire lab report in the Header file. Some laboratories had previously reported this comment against samples; it should be verified that this isn't being done.
- A “Primary Recipient Org” can be reported with the lab report, for use where reports are issued by to a site holder and also a consultant (or similar scenario).
- A lab report can be explicitly specified as “Preliminary” or “Final”.
- Definitions for Laboratory Qualifiers can be entered.
The Header File specifications are fully described at Header File Specifications
The Sample File is unchanged (except for the file name)
Within the csv export files Line 1 lists the data fields, line 2 and onwards contains the data for those fields:
Additional Columns have been added after the last column (LCL) in ELDF 2e:
- *MDL (Method Detection Limit)
- *RDL (Reporting Detection Limit)
- ODL (Other Detection Limit, for example a Defence or Contractual specified Detection Limit. Leave blank if not applicable)
- *Lab_Preperation_Batch_ID (A unique value per sample preperation batch.)
- *Lab_Analysis_Batch_ID (A unique value per analysis batch)
- *Lab_Analysis_ID (A unique value per analysis run included in the report.)
- Spike_Concentration (The applied concentration of the spike or surrogate.)
- Spike_Measurement (The measured concentration of the spike or surrogate.)
- Spike_Units (Units used for Spike Concentration and Measurement)
The columns marked with a * are required and cannot contain blank values. The remaining columns are able to be left blank or contain blank values as applicable.
The spike columns should be populated for a Sample_Type of MS (Matrix Type) and for all samples where the Result_Type is one of Sur, leached_Sur, MS (ie it's a Surrogate or Matrix Spike result)
If implementing ELDF 4 it is recommended the laboratory retire ELDF 2e, so that only one ESdat format is being issued from the laboratory. If the laboratory elects to retain both formats they should be fully consistent for columns that are common to both, and particularly the ChemCodes should reference a single common list that is used in both exports.